Skip to main content

Classroom Sprucing & DIY

French bulletin boards:
I have a couple of small storage cabinets in the back of my classroom that have seen better days.
I thought about painting them but this would require a lot of sanding and scraping and I don't think these doors could handle that much work. They are so old!
I decided with my mom (and classroom setup helper) that French bulletin boards might be an option to cover the yuck and provide some display area as well! I think they turned out well!
We used thin board (measured to fit the cabinets surface) from Lowe's along with some batting inside the fabric and then stapled it to the back. Then criss crossed matching ribbon across at intervals and stapled to the back. We mounted with screws then covered them with glued on tack heads.


Teacher workstation:
Not using a desk is the "in" thing for teachers at my school right now. I like the idea because I'm usually beebopping around all day and never at mine anyway; but I need a place to check in and manage my busy day. I came up with a teacher workstation using a poster storage rolling cart and a bar stool. I cleaned out the top 2 drawers for storage (left the rest for posters...gasp!) I added a cute mini French bulletin board for my notes and pictures (it matches my back cabinets by the way!) added a barstool for those rare resting moments and voila!
I love it! It's high enough to keep nosy eyes off my papers and I can stand to work at it (as I'm zooming by).



Fabric covered bulletin boards:
Putting fabric instead of paper on the bulletin boards in my classroom is something I've been doing for about 7 years now. It is more expensive up front but the payoffs are worth it. Fabric doesn't show staple holes, it doesn't rip, it rarely fades and if you get a neutral color, it can stay up all school year long! My classroom is blue and green this year so I decided to go with those colors. Here are some of my boards. My mom helped me cut out fabric letters to use instead of paper letters that rip , fade and wrinkle! What would I do without my mom?!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

7.2.09 Pink/White Polka Dot Pillow

Made for Harriet C.

Wooden letters accent

As I redo the kitchen, I've been thinking about new accent pieces for above my kitchen cabinets. I was surfing the web for ideas and I saw this! E-A-T! I found a great assortment of unfinished letters at JoAnn so I chose a plain style. They were about $5 each. I spray painted them my accent color Colonial Red. I think this is a cute accent idea for the kitchen!

2.9.11 Kitchen Redo

This is not my kitchen but the cabinets are almost the exact same color as the ones in my kitchen. Time for a makeover! I did not want to take apart and sand my cabinets (lazy, right?) so I chose to use this Zissner cover stain. It is amazing stuff! You can find it at Lowe's. It covers and creates a surface that will be ready for your paint! http://www.lowes.com/pd_192480-90-3501_0 __    Here is my kitchen with a base coat in process. I decided to do two coats just to be sure my surface was prepared.    After one evening of drying time, I started painting my cabinets. I decided to go with Valspar paint from Lowe's. I chose Kettle Black .             After two coats of Kettle Black, I covered my cabinets with a coat of Valspar clear coat . This gave my cabinets another layer of protection.   Here are my finished cabinets! I am very pleased with the final product!...